Although all surgeries are inherently risky, there are steps the surgeon and/or surgical team can take to ensure even the most dangerous and most complex surgeries go relatively smoothly. The most common surgical mistakes include:
- When surgery is performed on the wrong body part or organ, for example, if a surgeon amputates the wrong limb or removes the wrong organ.
- When surgery is performed on the wrong patient, thereby subjecting the victim to an unneeded surgery, along with all the complications that accompany surgery.
- The use of unsanitary surgical instruments during surgery, which can lead to cross-contamination of disease. If the patient is already suffering from a compromised immune system, the results can be deadly.
- Leaving a surgical instrument inside the body after incisions have been sutured. While some hospitals require that all surgical instruments, sponges, gauze, etc. be counted before and after the surgery, not all do. Serious complications and infection can arise from a surgical instrument being left inside the body.
- During a particular organ surgery, a neighboring organ can be accidentally perforated or punctured with a scalpel, scissors, or laser. Organ tissue is particularly delicate and such an occurrence can lead to severe and lasting health issues.
It is important to remember that not all surgeries that end badly will make for a valid medical malpractice lawsuit. Because surgery is inherently risky, and doctors often warn patients of the involved risks, there are many times when the doctor will not be held liable for medical malpractice, even if the surgery is not successful. Surgical lawsuits can only be filed if the surgeon, or nurse, anesthesiologist, or anyone else in the operating room acted negligently by failing to adhere to the accepted standard of care.
How We Can Help
Injuries suffered as a result of surgical malpractice can be extremely serious. To ensure you have the financial resources you will need to provide for medical care and treatment, contact a New York medical malpractice attorney at the Law Offices of Sam Rosmarin. We will consult credible experts, review the medical records, and conduct an investigation to determine what happened during the surgical process. If it is discovered that a doctor or nurse made a mistake that led to your injury, you will have grounds to file a medical malpractice lawsuit for damages.
Contact an Experienced Medical Malpractice Attorney Today
The Law Offices of Sam Rosmarin has over 30 years of experience handling medical malpractice lawsuits and has recovered over $100 million for its clients
If you or a loved one has been a victim of medical malpractice during surgery, you deserve to be compensated for your injuries. Contact the Law Offices of Sam Rosmarin today at (914) 686-4000 to discuss your case with an experienced and dedicated New York medical malpractice
Every case is unique. Prior case results are not indicative of any future outcome.